Saturday, May 14, 2011

Packratting

So today the dorms close and the last few northies are straggling out, off to enjoy summer....I still have one week before I reach my beloved hometown because I decided to go backpacking on the CT Appalachian trail next week.  So I still have a few days to pack up my room but not really any idea how I'm going to fit my entire life into one duffel bag to take home.  I've been mooching free storage off my friends who live in the area-- a microwave in Boston, a box in New York, etc. I have no idea where all this stuff even came from-- leftover costumes and accessories from theme parties and Freshman Fun Night; a wall full of cards, postcards, and memorabilia; random objects from rare crafty moments.  Obviously everything means something from freshman year, and I'd love to keep them all in hopes of meticulously scrapbooking every event.  Realistically I should just throw the stuff away because I'll probably never get around to documenting it.  Some of the key items I found and what they mean to me:

Pile of bow numbers and medals:  I had a brief stint on the crew team this fall; I walked on to the team because I wanted to get in crazy-good shape.  They told me I was too short to row and I became a coxswain, forced into high-stakes races in which I never would have had the opportunity to participate otherwise.  While not for me, it did introduce me to an entirely new skill and group of friends that love me even though I no longer am part of the team.  In fact, I'll be living with three rowers next year, which might get overwhelming.

Decorated half-gallon water bottle:  Foam letters spell out "swim hard, play hard" on this gift from my swim team "secret psych."  This reminds me of NESCACs and a great season, and even more so reminds me of the nights celebrating the end of the season.  It's kind of obnoxious but definitely something I have to keep.  Also perfect container to hold beverages while quadding.

Knit Tiger face hat:  Got it in Chinatown San Francisco during a fabulous spring break road trip with my brother.  I thought I was getting a deal on it since it was Chinatown, only to see the same hats at the same price at Fisherman's Wharf, notoriously overpriced.  Though I've never worn the hat, it was a great trip full of friends, family, and rainy California adventures.

Vero Beach Sports Village postcard:  The winter break training trip from hell in Vero Beach, Florida is not likely to leave trinswim's memory any time soon.  From the nasty food, dank motel rooms, and non-proximity to either pool or beach, that trip was full of complaints.  But it brought me closer to the swim team as a whole, which really defined my year.

Doodled-on shoes:   From the Friday afternoon adventure crew (Renee, me, and Julia), this was an ongoing project of decorating cheap white tennis shoes with fabric markers.  I'm not too artsy but I still think these turned out well and were a fun way to fill our Friday afternoons.  Sometimes we went to thrift stores, party stores, or out to ice cream, but it was always nice to get off campus and see the real world once in awhile.  Helps when your best friend has a car.

The room is full of more crap than this, but writing this actually helped me narrow down what I'd like to keep and what isn't necessary.  Freshman year went by in a blur, but luckily I have plenty of crap to remember it by.

No comments:

Post a Comment