Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top o' tha Mornin'

Happy St. Patrick's Day all!! It is on this day in 461 that St. Patrick, famous for driving all the snakes out of Ireland, died....and we get to celebrate with Shamrock Shakes, Irish Car Bombs, and plenty of artificially colored beer.
I love St. Patrick's Day because it is an excuse to celebrate my heritage, wear my favorite color, and get plastered, all in one.  Legend has it that St. Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, converted thousands of Irish to Christianity and used the shamrock to represent the Holy Trinity of father, son, and the holy blah, blah,blah...If you really want to know more about the history of St. Patrick's Day, check out "This Day in History" from the history channel.  I, for one, am content to get my green on and speak in a very poor Irish accent in hopes that some Psi U pledge will find me annoying enough to just open the door.  

If you haven't already taken off for spring break and you’re heading out tonight, be sure to pick up some green food coloring to drop into your pint…that’s really all it takes.  If you’re really Irish, pop a couple of these Irish Car Bombs and you’ll be set.

Add the Bailey's and Jameson to a shot glass, layering the Bailey's on the bottom. Pour the Guinness into a pint glass or beer mug 3/4 of the way full and let settle. Drop the shot glass into the Guinness and chug. If you don't drink it fast enough it will curdle and increasingly taste worse.
Yumm….


It's a beautiful spring day, as well-- temps are hitting 60 degrees and sunny.  Sorry about the six inches of snow you got today, Alaska.  I'm actually sitting in the grass right now while I type, which is pleasant minus the horrible glare on my computer screen-- I'll be interested to know what I've actually typed when I get inside.  I’m all done with classes and ready to start my spring break off right!  Good thing I have to leave for the airport at 3:45 am tomorrow.  To sleep, or not to sleep?  I’m leaning towards no. 

I’ll leave you with a little poem my grandmother, straight from Limerick County,  used to say on this day:
 Here’s to a long life and a merry one.

A quick death and an easy one

A pretty girl and an honest one

A cold beer – and another one!
Well, Grandma said so….who wants to join me on the quad for a Guinness?

No comments:

Post a Comment