Monday, March 14, 2011

Northern Lights and Midnight Sun

Here goes: an absolutely shameless plug for my beautiful hometown, Anchorage, Alaska.  I guess I've been missing the Last Frontier lately, and reminiscing about some of my favorite summer memories.  A lot of my friends got to go home for Spring Break, and I'm kinda jealous. (My parents didn't think the 12-hour flight was worth it).  People ask me a lot of questions about what its like to live in Alaska-- do you ride a polar bear to school, are you friends with Sarah Palin, is there snow all year.  (The answers are all no, by the way, although Sarah does frequently shop at the bakery I work at at home).  Bottom line is that Alaska-- and Anchorage especially-- is really normal, we're just a lot closer to the wilderness than most other places.  I can hike ten minutes from my house and be hidden in a mountain range-- and I live in a very populated neighborhood. In my opinion, Alaska's natural beauty is unmatched.  Mountains covered in ice and snow are just as common as beautiful summer sunsets over the ocean.  It's a rare day that I don't see a moose or two in my backyard or on the streets of downtown.  Here are two of my favorite Alaska pics that I found recently:
This was taken last summer around the Summer Solstice, longest day of the year, around midnight.  The sun sets for just a couple hours in the summer, which means we can keep going all night, every night.


Photo cred: Kameron Stahlman, one of those lucky bastards who got to go home for Spring Break.  This picture was taken just last week out the window of my friend's home in Anchorage.  These are the Northern Lights, a beautiful phenomenon.  It's actually kind of rare to see them in Anchorage, because they are usually only visible above the Arctic Circle, but they've been really active lately.  I can't believe I was at school and missed out on the last few days of activity!

So there's a glimpse of Alaska's beauty.  We're not all ice and snow and incompetent politicians, I promise.  



No comments:

Post a Comment