Saturday, September 1, 2012

Avant-gout de l'Amerique

A Taste of America

This summer I had a great opportunity interning in DC and after realizing the exorbitant prices of rent in the city, I decided to stay with some friends-of-family-friends who kindly put me up in the apartment above their garage in Virginia. It was kind of like a precursor to the homestay I'm doing now, actuallly. (Let's just say I'm ready for a single when I get back to Trinity). Anyway, all summer Jack and Veronica, my hosts, told me about their old friend Jordan, who used to live with them and now lived in Paris running a food truck. His truck "pioneered" the food truck movement in France, and there was even an article about him on the front page of the New York Times this summer. Jack and Veronica said I'd have to meet him while I was here.

So yesterday, I left sciencesPo with the intention of getting lost, wandering my way over to the Eiffel Tower and doing some shopping on the way. I couldn't have been more than ten minutes into my walk when I saw a little farmers market, on its way to shutting down for the day, and a big brown UPS-looking truck that said "Cantine California." I had no memory of the name of this food truck that Jordan had started, but upon further investigation, I found a young American man taking orders for burgers, baja tacos, milkshakes, and more. When it was my turn to order, I said "Are you Jordan?!" and he said "Yes I am...(who is this crazy girl?)" so I said that I had been sent all the way from the United States by his old friends Jack and Veronica to try his food truck.

I used all my charm and connections to score a free, delicious lunch (tacos de carnitas, if you're ever missing the taste of Baja California) and had a completely chance encounter in the middle of a random street in downtown Paris. It's extremely popular among Americans and Parisians and is giving American cuisine a better reputation in the eyes of Parisians, who think we spend our days gorging on McDonalds and 72oz sodas. Jordan assumed I had looked on the website to find where the truck was parked that day, but I had just simply walked into it. I'll have to go back though, and it's probably like the taxi that takes Owen Wilson back in time in Midnight in Paris (again): if I'm looking for it, I won't be able to find it!

Another highlight of my day, in this food-themed post, was on my way home last night. I went with my friend Sarah to a bar called Les Caracteres for the sciencesPo welcome week happy hour. As we were walking back to the metro we were talking about how little snacking there is here and how we hardly ever eat after a night out, so we decided to treat ourselves. There was an open bakery so we each got a croissant and then I found a take-out asian place of all snacks. You could order one chicken skewer or five mixed pieces of sushi  or a fresh spring roll. I though it was the coolest thing ever and immediately forgot my pain au chocolat in favor of an on-the-go spring roll. Genius! Wish I remembered what it was called.

Food is obviously a biiiig focus in Paris (uh-oh) so it was nice to find some little places that I really liked, but it was also cool to happen on such a coincidence in such a big city! Thanks Jack, Veronica, and Jordan!

The other Trinity kids arrived/are arriving today so it will be nice to know a few more people in the city. We have an orientation with everyone today where I'm sure I will feel like a total pro when we talk about how to use the metro or refill our pay-as-you-go phones. Crazy what one week in a city will teach you. And now I'm hungry again!

No comments:

Post a Comment