Tuesday, April 12, 2011

You've Got Mail

Don't you love that automated email that just brightens your day: "Package received in the Trinity Post Office."  A package? For me?  Could it be the mysterious results of your online shopping spree?  A late birthday present?  Or even the wonderful surprise of a care package from home?

I received a care package today.  It was mailed over a week ago all the way from Alaska, though my brother's made it to Colorado in just three days.  My mom collects stuff for care packages that she sends out maybe bi-monthly.  They're never too thrilling, but it's still exciting to see what she came up with.  My mom has a tendency to just walk around the house and pick up any object not being used and send it to me.    This includes half-empty bath or hair products that haven't been touched in years, or crappy promotional things like pens or flashlights that bear some bank's logo.  There's also usually some old thing from my bedroom that I asked her to send me-- a reason for the care package in general.

 Today's package includes: two oranges (remember: over a week old), chocolate-covered dried mango (interesting..), a flashlight keychain, my really really old broken IPod that I'm hoping to salvage music from, gum, socks, etc.  The thing about these packages is that there's never anything really big or special in them, but they are a great surprise and always make my day.  I would never feel good about those pre-ordered mass-produced care packages that parents can sign up for-- because this is truly where the thought really counts.  That said, here are some things that make a really, really good care package:

1. Money.  Duh, who doesn't like a little extra cash from home.  We don't always like to admit to our parents what we're spending money on, and especially can't call up home and ask them to pop some questionable items in the mail.  My mom noticed a charge on my brother's credit card statement from "BlahBlah Hookah Lounge"....that started a conversation.  If he had just used some cold, hard cash the issue would never have come up.

2. Baked Goods.  Another no brainer, but cookies and treats from home are just SO much better than the processed Mather deserts.  This may sound awful, but in an effort to encourage healthy eating my mom rarely sends baked goods.  Way to do your parenting from 3,000 miles away...just kidding, MOM! Baked goods go like wildfire during latenight in the dorm.  Keep 'em coming, mom and dad.  Campus Pizza doesn't always cut it.

3. An Answer to my Future.  Couldn't our parents, bored and lonely without us at home, spend some time planning our future?  Every day we have a conversation about summer plans, internships, classes, etc.  How about I open the mail to find completed applications, resumes, etc.?  I'd be a lot more motivated if the application process was out of the way.

4. Hangover Survival Kit (or other themed goods).  Time to get creative, parents.  Pick a care package theme and roll with it. Spring Break, Finals, or holidays are great excuses for a themed package.  And after a great night of themed partying, wouldn't you want to open a creative box filled with Advil, coffee, sunglasses, etc.?  I think this is the new age of care packages.

5. Cards.  All teasing aside, the card is my favorite part of any care package.  My parents used to not send one until I kindly requested that they do so-- a few sentences of love and encouragement do a college kid good.  I keep the cards, either taped to my wall (if they're pretty) or in a drawer.  It may sound cheesy, but pulling them out every so often can really cheer you up if you're feeling crappy or homesick or anything.  Postcards from all the empty-nester traveling parents are fun too.

Hopefully this post reaches my parental units and they feel inspired to keep the packages coming-- I'm hoping it's not just a freshman year thing that I'll "grow out of."  Guaranteed that TCPostOffice email always puts a smile on my face.  Thanks for the stuff, mom and dad!

2 comments:

  1. Chloe, this is a GREAT post! I laughed all the way through it and it made me miss you tons. You are so funny! The cookie picture has me drooling.
    XO! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love getting an envelope with a check for a hundred bucks, no bulky awkward box to lug all the way back to the dorm.

    ReplyDelete